Wednesday, April 13, 2016

11th of April - North Shore and Polynesian Cultural Center

Yoyo,
We had a pretty busy day Monday so i'll try to keep it short. 

Some of us started their day by going to the beach at 6am to surf; surfing with a rainbow over their heads. For the others, including myself, we just "slept in". We all met each other at Denny's to eat breakfast.

After that, it's with enthusiasm that we jumped in our bus direction the pineapple plantation. We didn't get to see the actual plantations but we ate a lot of fresh pineapples and pineapple yogurts. Some of us also got some face and Henna tattoos. We hang out a little bit there before we left for another existing Hawaiian spot.

Our next stop was the north Shore. For those who don't know what it is,  it is where the surf world championships take place every year. Even though the waves are the tallest/biggest in January we were able to see some humongous ones... We were all so exited ! From everywhere you could see us taking picture. As I were taking a picture with the French crew (because yea, nice to meet you I am Meredith from Paris, France) some incident happened. So basically I had my shoes on on a beach so I decided to threw them a few meters away from us to take our picture. But for some, I guess unfortunately reasons, a big wave crashed right in our backs taking not only us by surprised but also my shoes.

Half laughing and scream I started running after them. It is with a lot of regrets that I have to tell you guys that I lost one of them in the ocean. It was so sad but so funny at the same time. Also scary as the waves were coming crashing in front of me when I was trying to get my shoe.  Kind of lost I just gave up and followed the rest of the bus back to the bus. For Runa, Susana, Agathe, Anthony and I, it was we pleasure that we met an old pro surfers on his way back to the beach. Nicest person ever! We took the bus to stop in a small town before we actually go to the Polynesian center. 

We had an hour to eat a snack and shop if we wanted to. With Josefina, Emma, Frida and Maud we decided to go a little bakery. For the outside it looked cute and normal but inside, amazing. Small prices with a lot of flavors! We bought some smoothies and home made cookies... I personally took the dragon fruit smoothie, following the advices of a young man who entered the shop a bit after us. Happy I trusted him because that was really tasty, kinda like candy. We left the  bakery after spending a good 30 minutes there. We were sad because that was seriously a really cool place. Again, we all took the bus direction....the Polynesian center !

 
So many things to say about this place! First of all we stayed from 3 to 9 or so so that is a pretty full afternoon. The center is organised by "islands". In each one you could learn about their culture, their history and more. We took pictures with people wearing their traditional costumes, we got tribal tattoos and learned how to dance the hula. Every one of us could do what they wanted, do their own itinerary but that's what we did. What I enjoyed the most was listening to the history of the islands of Figi and Hawaii but we also stopped by Tahiti (French Polynesia yohou). The learning of the hula was so amazing it was like we were lilo in the Disney movie. 
At 4.30 we had to all meet up for dinner. Hold on : funniest dinner so far. We were just eating and some guy was doing the animation on the main stage. Some dances, some good music it was just a really good atmosphere to be in. But close from the end Josefina and I needed to go to the bathroom. As we stood up we start hearing a romantic song so to make a joke we decided to start dancing a slow. "Bad luck" the entertainer was calling on stage the couples in the room. If you already guessed what we did, good job! We ended up going on stage with couple that have been together for years and years. Funny moment, not as awkward as you could think it could be. After that some hula dancers called volunteers on stage stage half of our group went on. We start learning more hula moves : how to move your hips really fast doing circles -not that easy. After enjoying our seconds of glory one of the woman called back Thomas on stage. He started dancing with the all crew because yeah, Norwegians can move their hips really well. He was the star of our night! Shortly after that we went to the show. It was amazing, thrilling, moving...but so long! I forgot confusing also. The dancers were really good, the story was about all the islands of Polynesia getting together but for me it took me a while to understand it. It was good but after our long day impossible to follow. I don't know if I should tell you but some of us may or may not have fallen asleep during the show. At 9 we came back and it was so late after night that, it is the reason with you are only getting that journal today.

Hope you enjoyed like I did! That was probably our best day so far and I came back with lots of starts in my eyes, a big smile on my face and again...only one shoe.

Meredith





No comments:

Post a Comment